Tuesday, January 21, 2014

What I Learned From Frozen

Scott and I finally went and saw Frozen yesterday. We loved it and have been listening to it non-stop. It was tough for Cal to be in the theater that long, but I think he enjoyed the beginning of it.

Anna's character left me thinking about some things. (Be advised there are spoilers ahead). She has a difficult life in a lot of ways. She is lonely, her parents die when she is young, and when she finally does find someone to love, her sister doesn't support her, goes crazy, and plunges the kingdom into an eternal winter. But Anna never allows sadness to overcome her. She has a few tears, a few moments of anger. She also makes a few mistakes and bad choices. But nothing ever defeats her. She always gets back on her feet and does whatever she can to overcome her situation, whether that means walking through the snow in dance slippers or trying to convince her sister to save Arendale. Problems are temporary for Anna, simply roadblocks to get through. She is the definition of irrepressible.

As a little girl, I remember saying that I was Belle, or Mulan, or Pocahontas, or whomever. For better or worse, Disney creates many of the role models that girls love. And despite the fact that I'm an adult now, Disney has created another role model for me -- one that is silly, at times irresponsible, but who endures tirelessly to the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blogger Template By Designer Blogs